I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Life as we know it

I can only imagine how hard it is to leave the life that you know behind. And it must have really been hard after living almost 28 years in a place where all your family resides and there is emotional support and someone to turn to.

My mother left everything and everyone behind after one year of marriage to come to Canada. From what I know, she was against the idea but her family insisted that it was the best move. Being offered the chance to move to the 'land of opportunity' was something people in Pakistan did not take lightly. Even after visiting Pakistan last year, I felt the energy around me--the energy of people who looked at you with stars in there eyes the minute they knew you were from abroad. Everyone wanted to get out and move to the West and my father was no exception. With his brother already studying in Canada, he was ready to take his bride with him.

My mother's family had to do some pretty hefty convincing. She was adamant about not wanting to go but now that she was married, the traditional expectation was that her place was with her husband. There would be none of her own family in Canada to support her and the existing Pakistani community was quite small although growing.

This was her first sacrifice.

By now, my parents had moved out of the attic in the house to an apartment. I can only imagine the lonely days she spent at home, caring for a colicky baby, staring out to the city below her, covered in snow. She was too timid to venture out alone with me. I was unpredictable and many times I had thrown a crying fit in the cab on route to the pediatrician's office.

Our thumb-knawing sessions not only soothed me but her as well.

But she later told me when she felt desolate, empty and homesick, she would turn to me for solace.

Little did I know, when I wailed due to whatever was ailing me at the time, she muffled her cries for the life she had left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment