I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Thursday, August 19, 2010

It was a trip, not a vacation!

Wow, just checked the date stamp on the last post and realized I had so much to talk about but didn't write it down for the last two months. Shame on me. That is what a blog is about, isn't it?

Well if I don't tell you about my trip to Pakistan, it would be a tragedy. More like the country itself is a tragedy. I went after 17 years and was just as shell-shocked as my girls. They had never been and everything threw them for a loop. Monkeys dressed in skirts wearing sunglasses for money, transvestites looming everywhere for money, gunpoint robberies for money, the best shopping that money can buy -- ok you catch my drift. Like for any woman, shopping was my only therapy.

We tried to find a time to visit when sh*t wasn't happening. I could not have picked a better time: flooding to the North, domestic plane crash to the West, political assasination and rioting in Karachi and in Lahore, where we stayed, this city was the last to experience a suicide bombing. I justified the trip in my mind weeks before we left. There was a court case in my head with the defense stating only the positives about going whereas the prosecution stated the obvious: Canadian Govt warning was TRAVEL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

When we arrived in Pakistan, I inhaled and pretty much held my breath until three weeks later on our return. At the stopover in Abu Dhabi, I totally lost it. I told the hubby and girls that I was going to check out the shops in the airport and ended up bawling in Jimmy Choos. The saleswoman thought I was crying over the prices. It was then I realized that I had just exhaled.

Stay tuned to learn the entire day by day, blog by blog story of my trip into the country that left me helpless, weak and exasperated!

No comments:

Post a Comment