I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pakistan - Day 7 Evening in NFC

The minute we entered the Wapta town district that housed the new development of NFC, I could see why our uncle had moved his family there. Even the girls had shifted in the back seats of the Corolla to press their noses against the window.

The area was less congested and more 'north american' looking. As soon as we entered the neighborhood, we encountered cleaner streets, less traffic, more greenery and something, I hate to point out, civilization. I immediately sensed a change in the girls demeanor. I could have sworn I heard one twin turn to the other and say, "Finally..."

The house was beautiful. And modern. And clean. And something that made the girls more homesick - but in a good way. As we drove into the carpark, the girls practically lept out of the car. It was like entering a safe haven apart from the crime, dirt, pollution, congestion and corruption of the outer world that existed outside of Wapta town. Our uncle informed us that it was safer here to walk outside the neighborhood and that loadshedding only happened once a day for half an hour. I turned to my husband and gave him the "I will stay here for the rest of my trip" look. He nodded back in agreement.

We all sat down in their luxurious living room. It was about 8pm by that time and his dutiful children brought tray after tray of samosas, cake, chicken patties and an assortment of pastries. I looked over at the girls who were smiling from ear to ear. Jackpot. It was the first time I saw peace in their eyes. To make them feel even more at home, our uncle decided to get pizza delivered to the house for dinner. For me, it was just like we were back home. And that night, in the spacious master bedroom in full air conditioning, with the electricity ON the entire night and full day on Sunday, I slept an entire night.

Now I know what you are thinking. I just came from a car ride, viewing the poverty in the country to a upper middle class neighborhood with all the enemities. But knowing what we were used to back in Canada only heightened our sense of what we took for granted on a day to day basis. The lesson was being learned very quickly by all of us. But like all women, I needed some retail therapy after a stressful week in the main market.

Sunday was the day the stores would not forget my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment