I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Sunday, September 12, 2010

What you see is what you get

Since my return, I have been flooded with phone calls. How was your trip? What did you think about the corruption? Were you caught in the floods? Did you faint in the heat? Was the food good? One friend in Canada had emailed me while I was away thinking I was on the plane that crashed from Karachi to Islamabad because she heard a family of five from Toronto was on the flight.

The news I watched on CNN, CBC, BBC about the state of affairs in Pakistan was similar to what we saw on Pakistani TV but more censored. Women beating their chests in agony after losing their entire families, wishing they had died in the floods because the aid was taking too long to reach, still rung in my head weeks after my return.

I continue to be haunted by the various images in the country and I unintentionally compare them to what is being shown to the masses in North America. Its not like I don't want to remember...but my perception of the world is now a kaleidoscope filled with emotions, sensations and memories.

Let's lighten things up! What you see is what you get and a picture tells a story is so many ways.

Here are some pictures that made me say, Squeeze Me?



Sign at Abu Dhabi airport: In case you forgot, guns are not allowed on the flight!



At our cousin's house with their german shepherd: Please feed him before I lose a foot!



Contrary to popular belief, loadshedding doesn't affect all ages



All in favour of returning home? Put your right foot in!



Minaret Pakistan: As seen behind a screen in our crammed Corolla

The last picture was a culmination of varying emotions: fear, because we did not want to get of the car, laziness, because we did not want to get out of the car and exasperation, because what's worse than getting out of the car is getting back in and deciding who sits on who!

No comments:

Post a Comment