I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Things I Miss the Most

I was feeling nostalgic this weekend after turning the big 4-0. Starting a new decade in my life made me reflect about what I missed the most in the past. And I realized some of things I need to do now before its too late.

I miss:

-smelling magic markers (I realize I can do this now but where and for how long?!)
-playing soccer in the backyard from sunrise to sunset
-posing for pictures for our high school Grade 10 science book (I can strike a mean pose with a beaker!)
-bike rides to the local variety store and paying 25 cents for a chocolate bar
-driving 9 hours to Sault Ste Marie Ont in the fall when the leaves changed colour
-being in the only Muslim girl singing Christmas carols up in the boonies with my Christian friends
-watching scary movies at night and waking up in the morning with a fever
-in high school, having more guy friends than girl friends (men were uncomplicated back then!)
-working the Midnight Madness shift in Sears as a teen and chatting up the shoppers
-singing and playing the guitar for our garage band in a carport
-camping in a tent with junkfood, magazines, flashlights -- in my own backyard
-Duran Duran--Simon LeBon (my imaginary boyfriend)
-going to McDonalds with my dad, just him and I
-counselling all the boys about their girlfriends
-boys calling my house just to hear my dad's accent and getting drilled why they were calling me
-breaking curfew and my friends laughing to see my dad's bald head and angry expression in the living room window (no matter what time I came home)
-taking my American Motors Hornet car (no shocks, faulty brakes, wired-shut trunk, vinyl seats and gasoline-smelling) with 10 people down the Upper Middle Road bypass (reknown for crazy hills) at lunchtime for a joyride...note: many would forego going in the Jag/Benz/Beamer to go for lunch in my crazy ride
-my mom :(

What I need to do now:

-go 150km/h on the 407
-just buy the CX-9 and live in the moment..of being eternally broke
-get over my fear and learn to swim (contingent on a hot swim instructor)
-chase a tornado (its my destiny)
-tie my tubes (cannot imagine formula and diapers right now)
-rake up the leaves, jump in them, make a mess and rake them again (take order and make it chaotic)
-call my family and tell them I love them (even the ones who annoy me)
-watch a sunrise and a sunset in the same day
-pick up a stranger

I have to stop missing and just go and live. Tomorrow, I may not be here.

Thanks Steely Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment