I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Romantic Elliptical: Part 1

"I want the concentration and the romance, and the worlds all glued together, fused, glowing: have no time to waste any more on prose." Virginia Wolfe

Whitman, Austen, Wolfe, Gibran, Eliot, Shakespeare: Oh, the trickery!

As a young girl, my notion of romance was based on the media and literature I was exposed to; movies, fairytales and teenage dreams. And like every girl, I wanted in on it. I grew up falling in love with eighteenth and nineteenth century literature: the Victorian age of chivalry, sensibility, and romanticism. And it shaped my perceptions in the most traditional way. But when I married, at the ripe old age of twenty, it was far from your expected, traditional and romanticized societal union.

My marriage was arranged and the sentiment of romance was non-existent from the get go. So when I got an elliptical as a birthday present to commemorate by 40th, I didn't bat an eye. Or the Nike runners on my wedding anniversary. Or the breadmaker on Mothers Day.

Squeeze me? What the hell does an elliptical have to do with romance?

It will take a series of blog posts to explain but I aim to shed light on the fallacy that is romance, via my non-traditional wedlock...

No comments:

Post a Comment