I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Monday, March 29, 2010

Mr.Roboto

The mind is a strange thing.

It is amazing how we remember and forget. I am very detailed-oriented on a day to day basis at work but ask me what I had for breakfast that morning, I blank out completely.

What's worse is that I am losing pieces of past, rapidly.

Squeeze me?

Over the weekend, my sister (who remembers EVERYTHING) referred to an event that happened in our childhood. As she recounted the details, the feelings flooded back. And I realized that I had blocked out that event because it was associated to negative feelings. So much so that when she told me the story, I relived each moment like it was yesterday.

Now this is not a new revelation. Many psychologists have researched the brain and the effects of traumatizing past events but it really dawned on me how nonchalantly we deflect those feelings and memories to a point that they never exist today.

For us who want to move forward, do our new, lovely memories in fact replace the old, bad ones? Is this done consciously or unconsciously?
Or is it a matter of feelings? Do we feel less than previous generations? Are we out of touch with reality as we move away from social interaction?

As life passes us by, are we just going through the motions...Mr.Roboto?

No comments:

Post a Comment