I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trying to make someone fall in love with you is about as pointless as trying to control who you fall in love with

"Friendship is imnportant to me,
And in my heart I see,
That friendship is a gift.
But when there is no more friendship
The gift is broken into so many pieces,
That Love cannot count them."

I wrote this poem in Grade 6 and left my teacher sobbing. Cheesy as it may sound, it made the yearbook and raised my celebrity that year--ironically the year I had no friends.

Squeeze me?

I yearned for friends growing up, actually aching for someone to recognize my uniqueness. Bullied for being different, I conformed to their standards, willing to forfeit my morals and values just to fit in. The more I was bullied, the more I changed and abandonned my true self. By Grade 8, I didn't recognize who I had become, BUT I had two friends.

Fast forward 5 years. High school and maturity. I could breathe easy and finally be myself and accepted for my differences. I had a gazillion friends. But it was a struggle to find my identity. Trying to control the situation and my friends.

Today, one friend in particular is strong, aggressive and too bold for her own good. I see her wanting respect and acceptance. But I see her going down the wrong road.

I remain quiet and wait. And eventually she turns a corner and realizes her lack of compassion. Without me saying a word, she is starting to change, soften and relent. She isn't losing control; she is learning not to control. Makes my heart rise and want to hug her hard.

If you want friends, just set them free.

No comments:

Post a Comment