I'm back!!!

After a brief hiatus, I realize my mind races if I don't write my thoughts down. Its called my "Mind Dump". And you all know that if you don't empty out time to time, things can get really backed up. So I promise a weekly excerpt, even if it doesn't make sense. But does anything in life make sense when push comes to shove?



Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Telephone Psychiatrist

I think it stems back to my youth. Hour after hour, night after night. I can still hear my father yelling at me to put it down.

Squeeze me?

Yes, I am talking about the age-old telephone

And more than talking to someone in person, I still have to knack of talking for hours on the phone. Better yet, my BEST conversations are executed in this space. I cannot account for it--all I have to say is that I am the best oral communicator on the telephone than in person or in front of an audience.

Does it have to do with not seeing the person's face, the ability to collect one's thoughts, enjoy pauses without embarressment--WHAT IS THE DEAL? Again, I come from the time where email was not the mode of communication. A world without caller id, call waiting, call forwarding or blocking. You picked up the phone even when you were cranked called (I had too many of those with a father whose thick accent incented alot of teenager pranksters).

For some reason, nowadays, I have become the 2010 psychiatrist. Just in the last fours days, three friends have come to me with their problems--not in person, not by email, not through Facebook or Hotmail but by the good ole phone.

If my voice and ideas are that soothing, maybe my next job will be telemarketing...

No comments:

Post a Comment